#HeforShe

"Feminism is a collection of movements and ideologies that share a common goal: to define, establish, and achieve equal political, economic, cultural, personal, and social rights for women. This includes seeking to establish equal opportunities for women in education and employment."
I still remember the day when one of my family said that I have to reduce my swimming routine because it makes my shoulders look broader than the other girls.

"What a rude comment." I thought at that time.

I live in a society that values beauty more than intelligence, which is pathetic. I think it's not only me who live in this kind society, we live in the world like that. How can be that a very common thought in people nowadays? Because it is already becoming a stereotype. Just for an example, I live in Indonesia, I'm a 100% Indonesian which means I'm an Asian. Some people (or maybe people) of the Western countries think that we are these vulnerable group of women who can't do anything to improve our life, because all we can (or maybe, in some countries; should) do are staying home and doing chores and being pretty for the rest of our life and such those things I've mentioned. That was a stereotype.

I have a lot of role models, one of them is the rapper from 2NE1 (a music group from South Korea) named Lee Chaerin or as known as CL. She's just like me, coming from the same race but live longer than me in this kind stereotype. She shows herself as a strong, independent, and intellectual woman. In one of her interview, she once said that she wants to break the stereotype of Asian women and now, she's doing really great and nailed it.

I think, as a woman, being pretty is also an important thing, but the most important thing is, we as a woman, should be educated as well and reality says the other thing. Like, how many people actually know that Emma Watson was studying in two universities at the same time? Well some people only know that she is a beauty, a new model of Burberry or even Lancome or maybe, sadly, all you know that she is a beauty. That is true, she is a beauty, but isn't that pathetic for her that she's not known as a brilliant actress? There are lot of them, Natalie Portman, Keira Knightley and others. And why people only see the beauty not the brain? Once again, stereotype. For several hundreds year, beauty over brain. And guess what? That is totally lame and boring.

But it doesn't mean we refuse a compliment about our face, duh.

It's running in our blood that women should be pretty instead of clever and because of that some of us can't purse our dreams. Some of us want to be an engineer but we can't, some of us want to be a racer but we can't, some of us want to be a fire fighter but we can't. Why? It's because the thought of getting bad responses from others, especially men. That is really saddening.

I remember that one time my brother cried because of something I guess, and I said "Stop crying, you are a boy."

Few minutes after that, I felt guilty.

Not also live in a stereotype where women can't be as strong as men, but also men can't be as sensitive as women.

Yes, I do know that men should be the one who stand the last on a battle, since they are physically stronger than us and I also know that men rather think rationally than emotionally. But do these people know that there are 16 personalities in this world? Which can be discovered in every single human being. And guess what? Sensitivity is also in men.

The stereotype makes man with higher sensitivity than other men feel less masculine and because of that showing feeling is a taboo and weak for men.

It's also unfair, that when a man decided to be an artist instead of an engineer, they would be called a depressed man or maybe, 'sensitive'. You can't label a person because of their occupation.

Like for an example, my partner, he is a sensitive, really sensitive man, and I, on the other hand is a really logical woman. I'm really mesmerized by his softness, because when he is sad, he cries, when he is mad he just gone mad, is like I'm seeing how should a human be, I mean you can cry when you want to cry and only dumb and uneducated people will say that you are less man. Men are also human and we, human, blessed with feelings. So why don't we be grateful about it?

We are living in the same planet, breathing the same air, and also owning the same amount of time, but why? Why should we divide our rights just because our genders?

All that matter is not how we should act in front of people but how should we embrace our abilities, our lights, our greatness for a better world.

If you want to be an engineer be one and don't listen to them, if you want to cry just cry because you are also a human. And, if you want to be a good wife, do it. Do and be whatever you want to be in life as long as it makes you happy and ditches all negatives comment about your choice in your head, so be it.

Let's we built a better world to live in.

#HeforShe